For a long time (gulp, since around 1994) I’ve had this “summer favorites” reading list from the National Endowment for Humanities and from time to time I dive back into it. It is geared for grades 9-12. I find this ambitious. I have a degree in Education, and additional higher ed credits in Library Science and even I haven’t read many of the titles on this list. More power to any 9th through 12th grader who has. SO. In the further attempt to continue my education through great books, I am starting back in on the list. Maybe if I post my progress here I will keep up with it!
The most recent version of the list can be found at:
http://www.neh.gov/projects/summertimefavorites.html
So far I have made it this far down the list, and some others later on…
A Death in the Family by James Agee
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
Emma by Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Go Tell it On the Mountain by James Baldwin
Pere Goriot by Honore de Balzac
Am off to tackle Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett next -- and then I am skipping the next book ... The Bible ... that's its own project all by itself!
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
a summer reading list in winter
Posted by
Effie
at
11:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
►
2008
(19)
- ► 03/16 - 03/23 (2)
- ► 03/02 - 03/09 (1)
- ► 02/24 - 03/02 (2)
- ► 02/17 - 02/24 (1)
- ► 02/03 - 02/10 (2)
- ► 01/20 - 01/27 (4)
- ► 01/13 - 01/20 (3)
- ► 01/06 - 01/13 (4)
-
►
2007
(13)
- ► 12/16 - 12/23 (1)
- ► 12/09 - 12/16 (2)
- ► 12/02 - 12/09 (3)
- ► 11/25 - 12/02 (3)
- ► 11/18 - 11/25 (2)
- ► 11/11 - 11/18 (2)
-
►
2006
(20)
- ► 08/27 - 09/03 (1)
- ► 08/20 - 08/27 (2)
- ► 07/16 - 07/23 (1)
- ► 06/11 - 06/18 (3)
- ► 02/12 - 02/19 (1)
- ► 02/05 - 02/12 (3)
- ► 01/08 - 01/15 (9)
-
▼
2005
(43)
- ► 12/11 - 12/18 (6)
- ► 12/04 - 12/11 (4)
- ► 11/13 - 11/20 (6)
- ► 11/06 - 11/13 (5)
- ► 10/30 - 11/06 (4)
- ► 08/28 - 09/04 (2)
- ► 07/31 - 08/07 (3)
- ► 07/17 - 07/24 (1)
- ► 04/24 - 05/01 (2)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (2)
- ► 03/06 - 03/13 (1)
- ► 02/27 - 03/06 (1)
- ► 02/20 - 02/27 (1)
- ► 02/13 - 02/20 (2)
- ► 01/02 - 01/09 (1)
-
►
2004
(39)
- ► 12/26 - 01/02 (1)
- ► 12/05 - 12/12 (6)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (3)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (4)
- ► 10/31 - 11/07 (6)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (5)
- ► 10/17 - 10/24 (6)
- ► 10/10 - 10/17 (8)


No comments:
Post a Comment